I just stumbled upon the Jolicloud 1.1 operating system which has been developed especially for Netbooks. It is based on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix Linux distribution and shows lots of HTML5 capabilities. There is a Windows installer but you can also install it as your primary operating system. To gain a better impression of Jolicloud I installed it as virtual instance with Oracle’s VirtualBox. Of course you could also install it on your USB drive.
Overall Jolicloud 1.1 almost feels like an operating system to me. You can install your own local apps and for the low-level fans you even have a Terminal. It might be a good choice for an older Notebook or slow Netbook.
- Good hardware compatibility http://www.jolicloud.com/product/compatibility
- Easy and fast install process
- Amazingly fast boot-up
- Low power consumption
- ToS http://www.jolicloud.com/tos
- Sometimes the cloud seemed a bit laggy to me and the services took some time to reload
- At some points it still feels like a beta version and not a final 1.1 release
Let me know what you think about it and if you’re using it in for your productive working environment.